Custom hardware can add a whole lot of luxury and aesthetic appeal to your kitchen and bathroom cabinets. But how do you know which materials you should use?
There are many different material options you might use for your custom cabinet hardware in Colorado. Here are just a few examples of some high-quality choices you can investigate:
- Solid brass: Solid brass cabinet hardware is extremely popular in homes of all types. Most of the time the brass hardware you’ll find on the market is made up of about 60 percent copper, with the rest being made from zinc and other trace metals. It is extremely attractive and highly durable, meaning you won’t have to worry about swapping out the hardware for decades, if ever.
- Bronze materials: Bronze is a highly durable, sturdy metal that is an alloy of tin and copper. One of the reasons people like bronze so much is that it ages very well. Over time it starts to form a natural patina, which turns the metal a darker, duller color and offers an additional protective layer to prevent oxidation from occurring. You will often find bronze blended with other materials to create different appearances and add durability.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel is highly versatile both in terms of functionality and design. It is also very environmentally friendly in addition to its durability, because it can be melted down and recycled for new stainless steel applications. With regard to cabinet hardware, most stainless steel is made with a blend of nickel, nitrogen and chromium. There must be at least 10.5 percent chromium for the metal to technically be considered “stainless.” It is the chromium that creates the corrosion resistance, as it produces a chromium oxide film on top of the steel.
- Crystal: Crystal might be slightly easier to damage than other types of materials, but is still generally durable and also offers some very aesthetically pleasing accents to certain types of cabinet designs and finishes. Crystal hardware comes in many different colors, sizes and finishes.
- Pewter: Pewter is a blended material often used in other alloys, but it can also be used on its own for hardware. It is made from tin and trace elements such as antimony and copper. It is softer, meaning it might not be as durable as some other options, but that softness does give it more versatility in terms of the types of shapes it can take on.
- Marble: Marble comes in many different colors, variations and styles. While more people use it for tilework and countertops than for hardware, it certainly is an option for your cabinets. Every piece of cabinet hardware will have unique coloration and character as a result, because no two pieces of naturally occurring marble are the same.
For more information about the various types of hardware materials you have as options for your custom cabinet hardware in Colorado, or to arrange a consultation, contact the team at Custom Door Hardware today and we’ll be happy to tell you more.
Categorised in: Cabinets