Doors are essential components of any home. Not only do they serve the important functional purpose of letting people move in, out and through your home and your rooms, they can also add aesthetic appeal to a home and increase peace of mind for homeowners. Unfortunately, even the best doors and door hardware in Colorado don’t last forever, and you will eventually need to replace the doors inside and outside your home. Read on to find out more about the life expectancy of different types of doors.
Life expectancy of doors
The lifespan of a door depends on what it’s made of. Different materials wear out at different rates, so it’s a good idea to consider some specific information about the type of doors you have so you know what to expect from your door’s lifespan and performance over time. Since these are just estimates, it’s important to keep an eye on the condition of your door to detect signs of wear and tear and proactively take care of repairs:
- Wood: Wood doors can be made with many different types of wood, so life expectancy can vary significantly. Pine doors, for example, typically last about 20 years. A more durable wood, like cedar, lasts closer to 30 years, while a hardwood, like mahogany, can last 60 years or more.
- Steel: Steel doors are popular because of their strength and durability, even in the midst of extreme conditions like hail, temperature fluctuations and high winds. These doors are a relatively affordable option for homes and businesses, and they last for a very long time, up to 100 years in some cases.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass offers the aesthetic appeal of wood doors with increased longevity and a more affordable price tag. Like steel, fiberglass doors are very durable and can last up to 100 years. In addition, they can be designed with a variety of different patterns, colors and finishes to create unique aesthetic features that improve the curb appeal of a home.
- Vinyl: Vinyl doors are typically more affordable than other door options, but they also aren’t as durable or long-lasting as other types of doors. Vinyl doors last about 20 years, and they are often used for side doors or interior doors because they don’t hold up to the elements as well as other types of doors.
- Sliding glass: Sliding glass doors are mostly made up of glass, with a frame made of vinyl or fiberglass. These doors are made with strong insulated glass for increased durability and longevity. When they’re cared for properly, these doors can last 30 years or more.
Find quality door hardware in Colorado
If you have noticed that your door hardware in Colorado isn’t working the way that it used to, reach out to Custom Door Hardware. Since 2000, our team has been proud to provide the highest quality products to our customers. We specialize in custom hardware so that you can get products that are designed for your specific needs, preferences and budget. Reach out to our team today to learn more about our products and services!
Categorised in: Uncategorized